Getting compensation after a rideshare crash can be difficult, but you have options with an attorney from Parker Lipman LLP!
Discuss Your Case with Our Rideshare Accident Lawyers
No matter if you are a passenger with Uber or Lyft, or just driving your own car, you will likely be shocked if you get into an accident with a rideshare driver. You may not know what to do or who to call. That's where our team at Parker Lipman comes in.
Our rideshare accident attorneys in Denver can help you understand your rights and take action to recover the compensation you need to get back on your feet.
What Is the Legal Relationship Between Drivers and Passengers?
The legal relationship between rideshare drivers and passengers is complex. The rideshare company, not the driver, is technically responsible for injuries to passengers. The rideshare company's insurance company will likely be responsible for any settlements or jury awards.
Uber and Lyft are currently fighting to keep their insurance companies out of rideshare accident cases. They argue that drivers are independent contractors, not employees, so their insurance companies shouldn't be involved.
This legal battle is still being fought out in courtrooms across the country. It is unclear how it will end, but it's certain that rideshare companies will do everything they can to keep their insurance companies out of the equation.
What Are the Most Common Rideshare Accidents?
The most common causes of rideshare accidents, such as those involving Uber and Lyft, are often attributed to distracted driving and speeding. Rideshare drivers tend to have more distractions due to the nature of their work, which includes using apps for navigation and to accept rides. Speeding is another common cause as drivers may rush to deliver passengers quickly and pick up the next fare.
In terms of the types of accidents, T-Bone accidents, single car accidents, sideswipe accidents, hit-and-run accidents, and rear-end collisions are most commonly reported in rideshare incidents.
What Should I Do After a Rideshare Accident?
If you've been involved in a rideshare accident, it's essential to take specific steps to protect your well-being, gather necessary information, and ensure a smoother claims process. Here's a comprehensive guide on what to do after a rideshare accident:
- Prioritize Safety: Ensure the safety of all involved parties. If there are injuries, call emergency services immediately.
- Seek Medical Attention: Even if injuries seem minor, seek medical attention promptly. Some injuries may not manifest immediately but could have serious consequences.
- Contact Law Enforcement: Report the accident to the police, and ensure an official accident report is filed. Obtain a copy of the report for your records.
- Exchange Information: Collect names, contact information, and insurance details from all parties involved, including the rideshare driver, other drivers, and witnesses.
- Document the Scene: Take photos of the accident scene, vehicle damage, license plates, and any relevant road signs or signals. This documentation can be crucial for insurance claims.
- Note Rideshare Details: Identify and document the rideshare details, including the driver's name, contact information, and the rideshare company (e.g., Uber, Lyft).
- Report to the Rideshare Company: Inform the rideshare company about the accident. Both Uber and Lyft have in-app features for reporting accidents. Provide accurate details about the incident.
- Do Not Admit Fault: Avoid admitting fault or making statements that could be interpreted as an admission of liability. Stick to factual information when discussing the accident.
- Do Not Sign Anything Without Legal Advice: Refrain from signing any documents or accepting settlements without consulting with a rideshare accident attorney. Early settlements may not adequately cover future expenses.
- Consult a Rideshare Accident Attorney: If you haven't already, consult with a rideshare accident attorney who specializes in handling cases involving rideshare companies. They can provide legal guidance tailored to your situation.
Remember, every rideshare accident is unique, and the specific steps you need to take may vary based on the circumstances. Consulting with legal professionals ensures you receive personalized advice based on the details of your case.
What Are the Most Common Rideshare Accident Injuries?
The most common injuries suffered in rideshare accidents, such as those involving Uber and Lyft, include:
Extremity Injuries: Arms, legs, hands, and feet are often injured in these accidents.
Head injuries: These include traumatic brain injuries and concussions. Most rideshare passengers sit in the back seat where there are often no airbags.
Lacerations: Cuts or lacerations can occur from broken glass or sharp metal edges during the accident.
Broken Bones: The impact of a collision can lead to fractures and other bone injuries.
Internal Bleeding: This can be a result of the blunt force trauma experienced during an accident.
Whiplash: This is a common injury in rear-end collisions and can lead to long-term neck and back problems.
Loss of Limb or Surgical Amputation: In severe cases, an accident can lead to loss of limb or necessitate surgical amputation.
Burns: In some crashes, passengers are at risk of sustaining severe burns from fires or hot vehicle parts.
How Our Attorneys Can Help You After a Rideshare Accident
It is important to have an experienced attorney on your side after a rideshare accident. Our team of attorneys will help you understand your rights and pursue the compensation that you are entitled to. We can investigate the details of the accident, negotiate with insurance companies, and represent you in court if necessary. With our expertise, we can help you recover fair compensation for medical bills, lost wages, vehicle repairs, and pain and suffering. Our team of attorneys will fight for you to ensure that you get the best possible outcome in your case.
- A Track Record of Success
- Backed by Decades of Experience
- Award-Winning Attorneys
- Individualized Attention
If I ever had a case that needed attention, Dan and Lorraine would be my first call, because I know that I can trust them.
“Professionally, I work with a large percentage of the Personal Injury attorneys in Colorado. Every single one of them knows, respects, trusts, and speaks highly of, Dan and Lorraine. They both have decades of experience, are leaders in the field of law, an”Jordan C.
Empathetic, reasonable, humble, and clearly an expert Alex R.
I am thrilled with the settlement that I got.
“From the moment I heard Attorney Koupal’s voice and heard his recommendations for my case, I knew that not only does he have integrity, but that he would go the extra mile for me as his client.”E.M., Former Client